Thursday, March 6, 2008

Day 17

This beard-off is really taking its toll on me. I was ready for the physical aspects of growing a beard, but I couldn't prepare for the mental game. It probably doesn't help that I'm working nights while this is all going on, so I feel even more out-of-sorts. But when you wake up at seven o'clock PM, look in the mirror and see an unfamiliar face... it's a little disconcerting. Growing a beard is a big responsibility. Like owning a dog, but the beard smells slightly better when wet. When you have a beard people expect you to act in a certain way. I don't want to blame the beard, but I've recently been a little more impatient and generally surly. We'll see if this lasts through the transition phase, which looks like it could take longer than I initially expected. Frankly, right now this beard looks terrible. And it will probably get worse before it gets better.

On an unrelated note: I need a new job. I currently work with a guy who thinks Barack Obama is secretly a radical Islamist ("Look at his name. Does he sound American?") and the country would be "fucked" if he's elected. Anybody hiring?

No comments: